I needed some supplies and since Cotton Fields closed its doors, I decided to try some fabric and yarn stores closer to home. I didn't see anything that was dying to come home with me. Can you believe it?!?
I got the final border on JudyL's Shine On pattern, and I did manage to find some blue batik 108-inch-wide fabric for the back. It's ready for the longarm as soon as I decide how to quilt it. I don't really want to match all those different colors, so I may try an invisible thread and a feathery pantograph. I think this will be a donation for Quilts of Valor. (The photo looks funny because I edited out all the mess on my nightstands!)
I was hoping to find more yarn for my mitered square blanket. I am using Tahki Cotton Classic, which my LYS didn't have. (Since I hate to leave empty handed I bought some Noro Sock Yarn...pricey, but gorgeous of course!)The blanket is about half done. The non-blocked squares in the center are my "school colors." I desperately wanted to work on this project, but I didn't have any new color combinations, so I alternated the gold and burgundy of Arizona State with my chosen blue background. I might do a patriotic set so there are more "odd ball" squares with multiple colors. Looking at the photo, I see that I definitely need more light/bright colors! And I will switch the placement of the blocks...somehow all the darks ended up on the right, and I won't have the yellows right next to each other.
My brand new project, using only fabric that I have on hand, is the 2009 Block of the Month from Ricky Tims' The Quilt Show website. I loved paper piecing the feathered star center. Some of the squares in the four-patch border came from my first ever quilt project. Only 14 years ago, and they already seem dated! I much prefer bright geometrics to the traditional calico designs. I am trying to stay away from batiks in this one, so that eliminates at least a quarter of my stash.