Thursday, June 23, 2011

Just one more

Just one more project...or two. I participated in two recent fabric exchanges, and I have ideas for two new quilts. I needed to sew at least one seam on each so they go from PIGS (projects in grocery sacks) to official WIPS (works in progress) to qualify for the next round of my UFO club.

For the I-Spy, I am going to add sashing to each square, then offset the rows.In the Rainbow swap, we traded 11 squares of each color, and everyone received two sets per color. I am taking each set, and laying them out from light to dark. The second set is a reverse (dark to light), so I will have gradients of each color: red-orange-yellow-green-blue-violet. In this picture I have sewn the blue squares together.

And just for grins, here's my little princess doing a silly dance after jumping off the diving board.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

June Update

Ahhh, summer school is over and the surface-of-the-sun-hot temperatures have arrived. In between swim sessions at the local pool, I have been in my sewing room. (The city pool is open for a few hours in the early afternoon and again from 7-9 pm...late bedtime means a quiet morning for mommy!)

I finished the Reeds quilt. I won these blocks in exchange (see the Block Lotto button to the right) and decided to do a color gradient layout based on the white-grey-black background prints.
I had a bright floral fabric in my stash that worked for the back.
And I used a simple wavy frond quilting design, somewhat following the piecing.

Of course, the major focus has to be the Arizona Centennial project. Entry forms for the "100 years, 100 Quilts" were due this week, so I mailed mine in with fingers crossed. I laid out all the squares in their final position, so it looks like a finished quilt. I plan to add a plain border when the center is done, and I have grand plans for the quilting! Stay tuned...

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Flag Progress

Finished the bottom blue section! The first picture is 27 rows of 50 squares which is (quick, mental math) 1350 squares - only 650 to go...So, I laid out the yellow and red rays. When you only use 3-5 squares of each fat quarter, you need LOTS of fabric. Donations are welcomed...I have lots of scraps to trade if you can help out.

As my "leader ender" project, I dug out some blocks that I won in an exchange last summer.
This was a fun wonky block called Reeds. I couldn't decide on sashing, so they are just sewn together and I have some ideas for fun quilting designs. I love summer when I can spend hours at the machine!