Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lessons Learned

I pledged to knit nothing else until this blanket is done -And last night I got a lesson on crochet. It's much faster to use a single-crochet to seam the blocks together rather than mattress stitch, and I think the result is acceptable:
You can see a bit of the lighter color in the seam on the front, and I need to carefully make sure the stripes line up, but I am pleased with my first attempt. Only 18 squares left to knit and then on to seams and borders, woo-hoo!

Kendra has been working on faces...Mom and Dad are at the top,
Grandma below with her glasses on. I think the green blobs are earrings :-)

The lesson I learned today is to always measure the width of the quilt as it advances on the longarm. The corollary is that problems do not magically go away over night! I noticed some rippling in the edge of the quilt I'm working on (lovely feathers, if I do say so myself) but I just kept easing it in. Not a good strategy...when I got to the lower border I had way too much excess, so that's when I grabbed the tape measure. I had "eased" about two inches worth along the way. Now I have a date with Mr. Seam Ripper, oh joy. Lots of cliches come to mind - Haste makes waste, primarily!

2 comments:

freebird said...

I try very hard to not have seams. I've done stripes working my way from one end to the other and I've made checkers switching out different yarns. I've even used the baby blanket pattern of Elizabeth Zimmerman's but it does have one seam at the end. That one is fun as I switch yarns every inch or so and as you work around it makes for an interesting pattern. All of these are pretty homespun looking though. Good luck on finishing yours before that pair of socks calls too loudly!

Michele's Quilting Journey said...

There is nothing cuter in the world than a child's drawing. Seeing these brought back such wonderful memories. I love your little blanket, it has a wonderful free spirited look to it!